Saturday, October 6, 2007

Differences

Some differences I've noticed since I've been in India:
  • I haven't eaten any meat since we arrived (I'm not even craving it).
  • I've gotten used to eating with my hands, which I throughly enjoy (right hand).
  • Every day is a bucket shower day (we are staying on the 2nd floor so the water pressure isn't that great. we fill a bucket with water and use a smaller container to wash ourselves). Instead of saying, "I'm taking a shower." we now say, "I'm taking a bucket."
  • We have to remember not to brush our teeth with sink water.
  • We can't eat vegetables or fruit that haven't been peeled or cooked very well.
  • I now enjoy drinking chai every single day.
  • It's kinda nice to have sun kissed (dried) laundry. :)
  • I find comfort in having 2 roommates.
  • We have to rely on other people to get around (no car) or we find we can just walk to most places.
  • It no longer seems odd to see cows sitting in the middle of a busy street.
  • Beds here are very very firm, think thin cushion on top of a plank of wood.
  • It's customary to take your shoes off not just in homes, but also in other places such as the schools we visit.
  • We always need to have toilet paper with us, some public bathrooms don't have any and some don't even have a toilet (hole in ground).
  • I can get by with very little.

No comments: